This Makeover Monday Meal was inspired by TikTok. I’ve been on the app for just a few months, and I’ve been enjoying a variety of TikTok’s creators’ content. This recipe was a result of @bellafoodie, who is a part of #toddlersoftiktok. Bella is a precious little girl who loves to eat her parents’ cooking. She gave her daddy and mommy the okay to share the recipe for Korean Galbi short rib. The marinade looked fantastic and I’ve found that it works wonderfully with sirloin strips, chicken breast, chicken thighs, and thick-cut pork chops. The marinade is great for grilling meat and stir-frying.
Bella’s Galbi Inspired Chicken Stir-fry with vegetables
1 Asian Pear, halved and seeded (if you can’t find it, Anjou or Bosc pears will work too)
4 cloves of Garlic
1 small Ginger root, peeled
5 Green Onions, both green and white parts
1 small Onion, halved
3 tablespoons Mirin
3 tablespoons low-sodium Soy Sauce
¼ cup Brown Sugar
1 ½ teaspoons of Sesame oil
2 tablespoons Honey
1 tablespoon Sesame seeds
1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs, cut into strips or cubed
3 broccoli crowns, quartered into bite-size pieces
1 small red bell pepper, cut into strips
1 orange bell pepper, cut into strips
Canola or Peanut oil
- Add the first 11 ingredients into a blender and puree until smooth.
- Pour the marinade into a bowl. Add the chicken breast or thighs. Cover and let marinate overnight.
To Make the Stir-fry
- Add enough oil to cover the bottom of your wok or large cast-iron skillet and turn the flame to medium-high.
- Add the chicken to the wok once the oil is hot. Cook the chicken until it’s golden, but it doesn’t have to be cooked all the way. You will toss it back in to finish cooking. In the meantime, remove the chicken from the wok and set it aside.
- Before adding the broccoli and red peppers, make sure the oil is still hot. Add the vegetables, but don’t crowd the wok. When you put too many vegetables in the pan, they will be steamed and soggy. Add the veggies in stages and continue tossing for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and cook until it’s done.
Serve over hot jasmine or brown rice
- If you want to make this vegetarian and vegan friendly, you can use extra-firm tofu or seitan with the marinade. However, instead of letting it sit in the marinade overnight, marinate these proteins for up to one hour. Then use the Galbi marinade to flavor the vegetables.
- If your palate leans toward more spice, feel free to add your favorite chilis to the marinade for that extra kick.
For more, subscribe to our newsletter